Enjoy the fine art of Hygge at its finest. Through the month of February, you can cozy up by a roaring fire with your nearest and dearest at some of the most spectacular fireplaces in the region. Take the Cook County Fireplace Tour this February and discover the best winter vacations.
Hygge Fireplace Tour Dates: February 1 - 28, 2018
- Best Western Plus Superior Inn - features one indoor gas fireplace in the Great Room. The Cove lobby bar and bistro offers beer, wine and food items for purchase.
- Hours: 5-10pm daily
- Location: 104 1st Ave. E., Grand Marais, MN
- Grand Marais Recreation Area - features one outdoor elevated custom built metal fireplace under a covered pavilion sitting harborside. Build your own fire to roast marshmallows over as the sun sets over the Grand Marais Harbor. Stop by the office and mention this promotion for a free bundle of firewood.
- Hours: Fireplace pavilion is open 24hours
- Location: 114 S. 8th Ave. W., Grand Marais, MN
- Harbor House Grille - features one gas fireplace nestled in the heart of the cozy restaurant. Full service restaurant with liquor, beer, and wine available for purchase.
- Hours: 11:30am - 8:00pm Daily
- Location: 411 W. Hwy 61, Grand Marais, MN
- Skyport Lodge - features two indoor fireplaces. One wood burning fireplace in Skyport Lodge, the second in Raven Rock Grille.
- Hours: 11am - 9pm Daily
- Location: 205 Fireweed Lane, Grand Marais, MN
- Joy & Co. - features two fireplaces. One indoor gas fireplace adjacent to the Lava Lounge (a vintage record area). The second is an outdoor firepit with seating and wood available. Beverage service not available but guests are welcome to bring your own drink to enjoy.
- Hours: 11am - 4pm Sunday, 12-5pm Monday & Thursday, 10am-5pm Friday & Saturday (Closed Tuesday & Wednesday)
- Location: 16 First Ave. W., Grand Marais, MN
- Voyageur Brewing Company - features one large stone fireplace in the main brewhall. Enjoy local craft brew while playing board games or enjoying live music. Second fireplace is an outdoor gas powered fireplace.
- Hours: 3-9pm Wednesday & Thursday, 11am-10pm Friday & Saturday, 11am-7pm Sunday (Closed Monday & Tuesday)
- Location: 233 W. Hwy 61, Grand Marais, MN
- Wunderbar Eatery & Glampground- features an indoor electric fireplace in the main lounge to cozy up next to. There is also an outdoor firepit that is available as weather permits. Full service restaurant and bar with food and drink available for purchase.
- Hours: 11am-10pm Tuesday - Thursday, 10am - 1am Friday & Saturday, 10am-10pm Sunday (with Bloody Mary brunch from 10am-2pm)
- Location: 1615 W. Hwy 61, Grand Marais, MN
- Bearskin Lodge & Outfitters - features a large wood burning stone fireplace with a two story chimney in lower level of the main lodge. The perfect spot to warm up after skiing on the over 70KM of groomed cross-country ski trails of the Central Gunflint Trail System. A 1.5KM loop of lighted ski trail is available for evening skiing as well.
- Hours: 9am - 8pm Daily
- Location: 124 E. Bearskin Rd., Grand Marais, MN
- Big Bear Lodge - features a very large locally built from native stone Rumford design wood burning fireplace in the main lodge. This sought after fireplace, is large enough to walk into and is the ideal spot for your next family photo. Beverage service is available.
- Hours: 8am - 5pm Thursday - Sunday
- Location: 7969 Northwoods Loop, Grand Marais, MN
- Golden Eagle Lodge - features a handmade rock hearth fireplace in the center of this cozy lodge. A hand hewn mantle frames this wood burning fireplace and showcases loads of craftsmen touches. Warm up after enjoying a ski on the Central Gunflint Trail System. Also features a 1.5KM of lighted ski trails for after dark skiing every day of the week.
- Hours: 8am-6pm weekdays, 8am-8pm weekends
- Location: 468 Clearwater Rd., Grand Marais, MN
- Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters - features two stone fireplaces. One an original lodge fireplace made from local Gunflint Rock derived from one of the world's oldest and largest meteorite impact events. The second, from split granite. Both located in the main lodge where full dining and beverage service is available. Access to the Upper Gunflint Ski Trail System and Snowmobile Trail is outside the doorstep.
- Hours: 8am - 10pm Daily
- Location: 143 S. Gunflint Lake Rd., Grand Marais, MN
- Gunflint Pines - features a cozy woodstove fireplace in the main lodge to warm you up after a day on the trails. Connected to the Upper Gunflint Ski Trail System and just off the snowmobile trail, you'll need a cozy refuge to warm up your toes.
- Hours: vary but open Daily
- Location: 217 S. Gunflint Lake Rd., Grand Marais, MN
- Caribou Highlands Lodge - features a massive two story stone fireplace that features a gas fireplace in the lower level and wood fired in the main lobby level. With food and beverage service available in the lower level restaurant, and adjacent to Lutsen Mountains Ski Hill - the opportunity to warm up is abundant!
- Hours: 8am - 10pm Daily
- Location: 371 Ski Hill Rd, Lutsen, MN
- Lutsen Mountains – Scandinavian Chalet - featuring three gas fireplaces on the third floor of this Scandinavian themed chalet offers the perfect spot to stay warm as you watch skiers and snowboarders come down the mountain. An outdoor firepit in the drop off area will keep you toasty as well if you want to get closer to the action outside. Beverage and food service available at Rosie's Cafe on the second floor.
- Hours: 9am - 4pm Daily
- Location: 467 Ski Hill Rd., Lutsen, MN
- Lutsen Mountains – Summit Chalet on Moose Mountain - featuring a large gas fireplace with incredible mountaintop views of Lake Superior. A gondola or lift ticket is required to access this local gem, but is part of the grand experience. Food and beverage service is available for purchase and it is a great spot to have meet up with friends and family members who are spending their day on the slopes.
- Hours: 10am - 3:30pm Daily
- Location: 467 Ski Hill Rd., Lutsen, MN
- Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior - features a wood-burning stone fireplace in the heart of the historic main lodge. Live music can be enjoyed in the main lobby on Saturdays as well as in the Poplar River Pub on Tuesdays & Thursdays. Food and beverage service is available as well. There is also a large outdoor firepit that is lit every evening on the beach which provides an excellent opportunity to watch the sunset or star gaze in the evening.
- Hours: 7am - 10pm Daily
- Location: 5700 W. Hwy 61, Lutsen, MN
- North Shore Winery - features two outdoor firepits with locally made metal sculptures at the center. Enjoy a glass of locally made wine, cider or mulled wine beside a roaring fire.
- Hours: 12pm - 7pm Friday - Monday, 2-8pm Thursday (Date Night with Live Music in the evenings) (Closed Tuesday & Wednesday)
- Location: 202 Ski Hill Rd., Lutsen, MN
- Bluefin Grille at Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior- features a very cozy gas fireplace in the lakeside bar area of the Bluefin Grille. Enjoy live music fireside every Monday and Friday. Also featuring a late night bar menu from 9-11pm nightly and happy hour from 3-5pm daily.
- Hours: 8am - 9pm Daily
- Location: 7192 W. Hwy 61, Tofte, MN
- Grand Portage Lodge & Casino - features a large stone fireplace with several beautifully hand carved wooden sculptures by a local member of the Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa. Full service casino featuring live table games in addition to the latest video slots. Easy access to local snowmobile trails.
- Hours: 24 hours a day
- Location: 70 Casino Dr., Grand Portage, MN
As you can see, each fireplace has a unique design and hygge experience that could only be found in the heart of the north. Stay warm this winter and experience them all! Be sure to share your fireplace pictures with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Start planning your trip by downloading our winter packing list.