Enjoy the fine art of Hygge at its finest. Through the month of February, you can cozy up by a roaring fire with your nearest and dearest at some of the most spectacular fireplaces in the region. Take the Cook County Fireplace Tour this February and discover the best winter vacations.
Hygge Fireplace Tour Dates: February 1 - 29, 2020
- Aspen Lodge - features an indoor gas fireplace in the lobby of the hotel. Come sit and enjoy a cup of coffee, tea or hot cocoa while you're in Grand Marais.
- Hours: 6am - 10pm daily
- Location: 208 E. Highway 61, Grand Marais
- Best Western Plus Superior Inn - features one indoor gas fireplace in the Great Room. Enjoy a cozy sofa sitting area by the fireplace, and there are tables perfect for a game of cards. The Cove Lobby Bar and Bistro offers beer, wine and food items for purchase. Hotel guests enjoy complimentary coffee, tea, and hot chocolate; these items are available to visitors for purchase.
- Hours: 5-10pm daily
- Location: 104 1st Ave. E., Grand Marais, MN
- Grand Marais Recreation Area - features one outdoor elevated custom built metal fireplace under a covered pavilion sitting harborside. Build your own fire to roast marshmallows over as the sun sets over the Grand Marais Harbor. Stop by the office and mention this promotion for a free bundle of firewood.
- Hours: Fireplace pavilion is open 24hours
- Location: 114 S. 8th Ave. W., Grand Marais, MN
- Hungry Hippie Tacos - features an indoor fireplace with tasty tacos for purchase.
- Hours: Thursday - Sunday 11am-8pm
- Location: 15 W. Highway 61, Grand Marais, MN
- Sivertson Gallery - features an indoor fireplace surrounded by local and regional artwork. Enjoy complimentary tea during your visit.
- Hours: 10am – 5pm Monday – Saturday / 10am-4pm Sunday
- Location: 14 West Wisconsin Street, Grand Marais, MN
- Skyport Lodge - features two indoor fireplaces. One wood burning fireplace in Skyport Lodge, the second in Raven Rock Grille.
- Hours: 11am - 9pm Daily
- Location: 205 Fireweed Lane, Grand Marais, MN
- Voyageur Brewing Company - features one large stone fireplace in the main brewhall. Enjoy local craft brew while playing board games or enjoying live music. Second fireplace is an outdoor gas powered fireplace.
- Hours: 3-9pm Wednesday & Thursday, 11am-10pm Friday & Saturday, 11am-7pm Sunday (Closed Monday & Tuesday)
- Location: 233 W. Hwy 61, Grand Marais, MN
- Bearskin Lodge & Outfitters - features a large wood burning stone fireplace with a two story chimney in lower level of the main lodge. The perfect spot to warm up after skiing on the over 70KM of groomed cross-country ski trails of the Central Gunflint Trail System. A 1.5KM loop of lighted ski trail is available for evening skiing as well.
- Hours: 9am - 8pm Daily
- Location: 124 E. Bearskin Rd., Grand Marais, MN
- Golden Eagle Lodge - features a handmade rock hearth fireplace in the center of this cozy lodge. A hand hewn mantle frames this wood burning fireplace and showcases loads of craftsmen touches. Warm up after enjoying a ski on the Central Gunflint Trail System. Also features a 1.5KM of lighted ski trails for after dark skiing every day of the week.
- Hours: 8am-6pm weekdays, 8am-8pm weekends
- Location: 468 Clearwater Rd., Grand Marais, MN
- Gunflint Lodge & Outfitters - features two stone fireplaces. One an original lodge fireplace made from local Gunflint Rock derived from one of the world's oldest and largest meteorite impact events. The second, from split granite. Both located in the main lodge where full dining and beverage service is available. Access to the Upper Gunflint Ski Trail System and Snowmobile Trail is outside the doorstep.
- Hours: 8am - 10pm Daily
- Location: 143 S. Gunflint Lake Rd., Grand Marais, MN
- Gunflint Pines - features a cozy woodstove fireplace in the main lodge to warm you up after a day on the trails. Connected to the Upper Gunflint Ski Trail System and just off the snowmobile trail, you'll need a cozy refuge to warm up your toes.
- Hours: vary but open Daily
- Location: 217 S. Gunflint Lake Rd., Grand Marais, MN
- Caribou Highlands Lodge - features a massive two story stone fireplace that features a gas fireplace in the lower level and wood fired in the main lobby level. With food and beverage service available in the lower level restaurant, and adjacent to Lutsen Mountains Ski Hill - the opportunity to warm up is abundant!
- Hours: 8am - 9pm Daily
- Location: 371 Ski Hill Rd, Lutsen, MN
- Lutsen Mountains – Scandinavian Chalet - featuring an outdoor firepit in the drop off area will keep you toasty as well if you want to get closer to the action outside. Beverage and food service available at Rosie's Cafe on the second floor.
- Hours: 9am - 4pm Daily
- Location: 467 Ski Hill Rd., Lutsen, MN
- Lutsen Mountains – Summit Chalet on Moose Mountain - featuring a large gas fireplace with incredible mountaintop views of Lake Superior. A gondola or lift ticket is required to access this local gem, but is part of the grand experience. Food and beverage service is available for purchase and it is a great spot to have meet up with friends and family members who are spending their day on the slopes.
- Hours: 10am - 3:30pm Daily
- Location: 467 Ski Hill Rd., Lutsen, MN
- Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior - features a few different fireplaces to cozy up next to. The most popular is a wood-burning stone fireplace in the heart of the historic main lodge. With Lake Superior views and plenty of couches and chairs to sink into, this spot is hard to beat. If you’re looking for a dining experience, the recently remodeled Strand Waterfront Dining Room features a gas fireplace with tables nearby. There are also large outdoor firepits both on the beach and next to the ice skating rink which provide an excellent opportunity to watch the sunset or star gaze in the evening.
- Hours: 7am - 10pm Daily
- Location: 5700 W. Hwy 61, Lutsen, MN
- Mountain Inn at Lutsen – features an indoor gas fireplace in their newly renovated lobby with food and beverages available for purchase in Ella’s Pantry. Onsite massages are available by reservation in the Lutzen Massage Studio day spa.
- Hours: 8am – 8pm
- Location: 360 Ski Hill Road, Lutsen, MN
- North Shore Winery - features an outdoor firepit with locally made metal sculptures at the center. Enjoy a glass of locally made wine, cider or mulled wine beside a roaring fire.
- Hours: 12pm - 7pm Friday - Monday, 2-8pm Thursday (Date Night with Live Music in the evenings) (Closed Tuesday & Wednesday)
- Location: 202 Ski Hill Rd., Lutsen, MN
- Warming Shack at Oberg Mountain Trailhead– features a wood burning stove in the old trapper’s cabin at the base of this active trailhead. Originally built at the end of the Sawbill Trail on Sawbill Lake around 1920 as the “Sawbill Ranger Station.” It replaced an earlier trapper’s cabin, and was replaced itself in 1937 by a CCC-built cabin still on the site. This stove and wood is provided free of charge to the public with the request that users respect the historic nature of the cabin and take care not to damage the building or amenities. Use of this building is supported by the Sugarbush Trail Association. Please visit their website for ways to assist trail maintenance activities.
- Hours: anytime
- Location: Oberg Mountain Trailhead, Onion River Road, Tofte, MN
- Bluefin Grille at Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior- features a very cozy gas fireplace in the lakeside bar area of the Bluefin Grille. Enjoy live music fireside every Monday and Friday. Also featuring a late night bar menu from 9-11pm nightly and happy hour from 3-5pm daily.
- Hours: 8am - 9pm Daily
- Location: 7192 W. Hwy 61, Tofte, MN
- Grand Portage Lodge & Casino - features a large stone fireplace with several beautifully hand carved wooden sculptures by a local member of the Grand Portage Band of Lake Superior Chippewa. Full service casino featuring live table games in addition to the latest video slots. Easy access to local snowmobile trails.
- Hours: 24 hours a day
- Location: 70 Casino Dr., Grand Portage, MN
As you can see, each fireplace has a unique design and hygge experience that could only be found in the heart of the north. Stay warm this winter and experience them all! Be sure to share your fireplace pictures with us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Start planning your trip by downloading our winter packing list.