Winter condition update - plenty of snow for the Beargrease and winter sports in Cook County MN
Conditions are firming up after the thaw of last week and while some snow was lost, the vast majority of Northeastern Minnesota still has a minimum of 12"-24" of snow on the ground. Our cross-country ski and snowmobile trails have firmed up and have been groomed for the weekend. The slopes at Lutsen Mountains are in prime condition with 95% of the primary runs open. With the extended forecast is calling for fresh snow early next week, conditions are only about to get better.
400 miles in five days - Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon begins Sunday, January 29th.
33rd running of the John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon kicks off on Sunday. The race is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. this Sunday at the Alger Grade gravel pit on Lake County Highway 2, about eight miles north of Two Harbors.
The Beargrease will traverse the Sawtooth Mountains in Cook County, going as far north as Gunflint Lake near the Canadian border. The full marathon typically takes five days to complete. About 30 of the top mushers from around the world and close to 500 volunteers from around the country will gather for this amazing event.
Catch the live action at these Cook County locations between Sunday, 1/29 - Tuesday, 1/31:
- Sawbill Trail in Tofte - at milepoint 68 on Sunday with opportunities to view between 5pm - 11pm.
- Trail Center on the Gunflint - at milepoint 119 on Monday between 3:30am - 11am. MID-DISTANCE finisher ceremony on Monday, January 30th at 3pm.
- Grand Portage Lodge & Casino - at milepoint 183 arrivals around 3-5pm on Monday and an 8 hour mandatory rest with a departure by 2am on Tuesday. Because this is a mandatory layover, it is a great opportunity to catch teams. Warm up by checking out the newly renovated casino and deli.
- Skyport Lodge on Devil Track Lake - at milepoint 236 with arrivals coming in around 4:30am until departure by 12pm on Tuesday.
- Return to Sawbill Trail in Tofte at milepoint 300 on Tuesday's between 9am - 8pm.
- Full marathon finishers will return to Two Harbors on Wednesday.
For more information on vantage points in Cook County, see: http://www.visitcookcounty.com/entry/_419/
Join us is celebrating the great snow we have up north by participating in the Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply "Show Us Your Snow" Contest.
- Take a picture showing snow in Cook County. Pictures must be taken between January 27, 2017 at 8:00 a.m. CST and February 7, 2017 at 11:59 a.m. CST. (We know we can’t verify that all snow pictures are actually taken in Cook County during the Photo Challenge Period, so we are relying on you to be honest. It’s what your mom would want you to do.)
- Post a picture on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. Be sure to include the hashtag #GrandMaraisHasSnow and tag at least one of the Photo Challenge co-sponsors.