Grand Marais, MN is in the running for Best MN Town, a contest hosted by Minnesota Monthly Magazine and Old Dutch. This contest is bigger than the other previous contests because it includes substantial prizes such as:
- A multi-page editorial feature in MN Monthly Magazine
- Media campaign valued at over $50,000 + Public Relations assistance
- Governor's Proclamation
- and a party thrown in our honor!
The winner and finalists will be chosen by the magazine’s editor, a panel of notable Minnesotans and the people of Minnesota. The selection process will use a wide-ranging criteria including official responses to the Best MN Town questionnaire, qualitative and quantitative research, as well as a popular vote (popular vote will contribute 25% toward the total of each town - learn more about scoring procedures).
We've told you the basics of why you should vote for Grand Marais, but here are the real reasons you should VOTE FOR GRAND MARAIS.
1. Two words: Lake Superior. The many moods of Lake Superior are incredibly alluring. Thanks to the limitless access to the greatest of great lakes from the shores of Grand Marais will provide you with a front row seat to all of her beautiful performances.
2. The hiking trails are fantastic! Access to the Superior Hiking Trail is super easy from Grand Marais – Pincushion Mountain is the perfect basecamp for adventure. A place where you can hop on a segment of the SHTA for great views, go for a thrilling single-track ride, and in the winter – ski 25KM of perfectly groomed cross-country trails.
3. Access to the BWCA. With over 42 entry points in Cook County, access to the vast wilderness known as the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is at your fingertips at all times. Being so close to such a wild place has its perks such as: uninterupted calm, spectacular wildlife viewing, and being able to escape the digital world for a few days to reconnect with yourself.
4. The people. We're just a fun bunch of folks who like to get outside, have a deep appreciate for a great sunset, and like to make new friends and trade stories. Heck, we even made friends with moose! What's not to love about that? Don't belive us? Tune into local radio station 90.7 WTIP and listen to the local programming like Small Change or Pop Quiz - seriously, it will make you smile and feel like you are a member of our community.
5. Winter, real winter. Sure winter is cold, icy and most people are dreaming of the beach by Christmas HOWEVER we think winter is truly beautiful up north. We celebrate winter by getting outside even on the coldest of days. Whether it be skiing or snowshoeing, dogsleddingor snowmobiling, ice fishing or simply watching the snow fall - we make the most of every winter day by getting outside and beating that cabin fever. Winter is coming, embrace it and make the most of it - and let us show you how!
6. Autumn. From the bright, fluorescent green leaves in the Spring to the orange and yellow magic that Fall brings, the change of seasons come alive in Grand Marais. Smells, sounds, sights, tastes and feelings of the seasons are all heightened in this small harbor village.
7. The Wildlife. Life gets pretty wild in Grand Marais. The town mascot, Murray the Moose, isn’t the only creature you’ll see while you’re here. Other favorite Minnesota mammals you might see include timberwolf, fox, pine marten, lynx, black bear, beaver and otter. In the evenings while you roast marshmallows around a campfire, you might hear an owl’s hoots or the haunting warble of a loon.
8. The events. Grand Marais is the event hub of Northeastern Minnesota. Featuring music festivals, community celebrations and quirky small town parades, Grand Marais has events year-round to suite all tastes. Bring the family over MEA weekend for the Moose Madness celebration, and see the town transformed with moose themed activities. Escape before the craziness of the holidays during the Lake Superior Storm Festival, where the power and beauty of Lake Superior is celebrated. If you want to see a real treat, come to Grand Marais for Black Friday and see the Oh Ole Night Christmas parade and tree lighting.
What are your reasons for loving Grand Marais? Let us know by commenting below and then VOTE, Share, Repeat!