Cozy book lovers reading list compiled by Gwen Danfelt of Drury Lane Books, Grand Marais:
What hygge-inspired books will be read this winter in Cook County, Minn. and beyond
The Danish concept of “hygge” (pronounced hoo-gah) is the Danish ritual of embracing life’s simple pleasures. Feeling relaxed, cozy and surrounded by the warmth of family, friends, community and fire.
“Reading a well-loved book, your dog curled next to you on the couch, both of you tired after a long ski through the beautiful boreal forest, that is definitely hygge,” according to Linda Jurek, executive director of Visit Cook County in Grand Marais, Minn.
In 2017, Grand Marais launched its first annual Hygge Week; This year, Hygge Week will be February 8-14, 2019. (See related news release for more details.)
To get readers in the mood for winter reading, Gwen Danfelt, manager of Drury Lane Books in Grand Marais, has some suggestions to get us in a hygge state of mind – whether we’re in Cook County or dreaming of our next trip up north.
Top 10 cozy titles chosen by Drury Books manager Gwen Danfelt
- A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles : Witty, thoughtful novel set in Moscow after the Russian Revolution. Luxuriate over the beautiful writing and enjoy spending time with the characters. $27
- Maisie Dobbs, by Jacqueline Winspear : A mystery series set in wartime England. Maisie Dobbs is like a kind Sherlock Holmes, and I always want to read mysteries in the winter. $15.95
- Onigamiising: Seasons of an Ojibwe Year, by Linda Legarde Grover: These short meditations and stories from Duluth author Legarde Grover are great, read the winter selections beside the fire! $14.95
- Little Dorrit, by Charles Dickens: Take time to sink into a classic! Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, and Tolstoy also highly recommended. $13
- Milk and Honey, by Rupi Kaur: This collection of poetry was #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List (a rare event for poetry!) Find out if it speaks to you. $14.99
- Hygge: A Celebration of Simple Pleasures by Charlotte Abrahams: There are a number of lovely little books about the "hygge" lifestyle. Start with this one to learn more and create a hygge space in your home. $28.99
- Fika: The Art of the Swedish Coffee Break, with Recipes for Pastries, Breads, and Other Treats by Anna Brones and Johanna Kindvall: The Swedes, like the Danes, know how to slow down and enjoy a cup of coffee. Use this cookbook to satisfy your winter baking urges. $17.99
- There's No Such Thing as Bad Weather: A Scandinavian Mom's Secrets for Raising Healthy, Resilient, and Confident Kids (from Friluftsliv to Hygge) by Linda Akeson McGurk: Teach the kids and grandkids how to say "hygge", then buddle them up to play outside, and relax inside! $24.99
- The Last Romantics by Tara Conklin: This absorbing novel comes out in February and will satisfy literary fiction readers! $26.99
- The Art of the Wasted Day by Patricia Hampl: Renowned memoirist Patricia Hampl doesn't use the word "hygge", but this thoughtful travelogue is teasing out similar concepts like leisure and daydreaming. Take your time with this one. $26
Find a cozy fireplace to read a good book near in Cook County this February. Take the Fireplace Tour of Cook County MN!